Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Week 6, Thing 15 - Where Do We Go From Here?

As the 23 Things coordinator for my region, I feel as if I've spent much of the past few months enmeshed in Web 2.0 technologies. I've had the incredible opportunity to get out to the branches and see real learning about these technologies in action. My mind has already taken the turn from learning and teaching others about these tools to if and how we might integrate them into our libraries' toolkits. I've seen a few bits and pieces of Web 2.0 integrated into library websites, but we still have a long way to go (if we decide that that's the direction that we indeed wish to take) to get to the level of sites like flickr. But is that where we want to go? It seems as if that is the direction that the current is taking us, whether we like it or not.

These articles bring up many interesting points and they are mostly coming from an upper-level viewpoint. Do these viewpoints actually represent the library community and the folks that are actually on the front lines? We still have a long way to go and I wonder whether we will like our destination once we get there...

No comments: