Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Thing #18 - Microsoft Beware!

This exercise completely blew me away. I had no idea that there were online applications of word processing tools. I feel that I'm pretty familiar with Microsoft Word and the ZohoWriter web-based tool does not pale in comparison to that 200 pound gorilla. There are many advantages to web-based applications - no need to download software, upgrades are done automatically, application can be accessed from any computer, etc.

I created a test document on Zoho Writer and found the interface to be user-friendly and clean. I'm guessing that it doesn't have all the power and bells/whistles of Word, but it had all the basics. I'm also wondering how it might interface with other applications, such as spreadsheets, databases, etc. But I'd definitely recommend this tool to anyone who needed a basic word processor.

No comments: