Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Week 6, Thing #14 - Trash or Treasure?

As may of the 23 Things participants in my region have created their blogs, I've joking sent them emails to welcome them to the "blogosphere." Until looking at Technorati I was not aware of just how huge this blogosphere has become. It seems that everyone and their dog have their own blog these days! I can see some value to this tool - it's interesting to see what people are saying out there on a particular issue or topic, and you can easily find people with similar or dissimilar interests, as desired. But as information professionals, do we really care about all of these opinions freely floating around on the web? Just like websites, how reliable is this information? Is the web just becoming one big op-ed?

The popular sites weren't really of much interest to me - very pop-culture-like and overexposed in my opinion.

On my search for PLCMCL2 I was able to immediately retrieve one of the Garrett county participant's blogs, who had referenced that term in one of her posts. Still seems a little loose and irrelevant to me...

No comments: