Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Week 9, Thing #22 - Still Nothing Like a Good Old-Fashioned Book

The creation of the printing press/movable type printing was a revolutionary invention and helped to make the dissemination of information both easier and faster. That was an incredible and hugely significant milestone in the history of humankind and now look what has happened! You can now download books on the Internet with a few clicks of your mouse! We've become so used to all of this technology, but if you sit a moment and reflect on what this actually is, it seems like wizardry!

One of my favorite books, Pride and Prejudice, was available on Project Gutenberg, and I downloaded a portion of it in a pdf file. I don't think I'd ever really want to read this book online; rather I'd probably print it out and then read it at a later time. Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to read with the book in my hand - I find it difficult to fall asleep without a book!

No comments: