Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Week 9, Thing #19 - I Opened Pandora's Box...

I selected to take a look at Pandora, which won the number one award in the Music Category. I'd heard a lot about this tool and know some people that use it, so I thought it would be a good time to take a look at it.

When I created my profile, I discovered that I'd actually already created a profile some time ago and added just one artist. Who knows how many accounts I have floating around out there... You're able to create your own radio station(s), which you can listen to from anywhere you have Internet access. Pandora is based on the Radio Genome Project - basically a group of musicians and techies came together to "analyze" music based on a specific criteria - genes of music.

You can search for songs, artists, stations, and listener profiles - so there is a social networking aspect to the site. I searched for Oasis' Wonderwall and its features were described as:

mellow rock instrumentationrepetitive melodic phrasingmixed acoustic and electric instrumentationminor key tonalitymelodic songwritinga dynamic male vocalistacoustic rhythm guitarssubtle use of stringssubtle use of acoustic piano

I can listen to a sample, bookmark it as a favorite, and buy it from iTunes or Amazon.

If you just click on 'Create a New Station', it asks you for one of your favorite songs or artists and it then creates your very own radio station.

This is such a cool tool for all music lovers and its such a cool concept to catalog music by its "genes"!

No comments: