Friday, July 20, 2007

Week 5, Thing #11

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/jennyhowell76



I'd heard a lot about library thing and wasn't really sure what to expect, I guess something more "database-like", like EndNote or RefWorks. I was happily surprised by the clean interface and the ease of use. You can literally (hehe) jump right in and start adding books. Of course, the tagging feature stands out the most for me. I took a cataloging course in library school and I still have bad memories of AACRII and many sleepless nights. What a revolutionary concept to allow readers to assign their very own keywords to what they're reading! I'm not sure where this type of thing is going, but as a former employee of an indexing and abstracting company, it's really a revolutionary concept to allow users to catalog their own items! Watch out publishing paradigm!

No comments: